Why you Should Leave Teeth Whitening to your Dentist in San Ramon
Do you look forward to your daily cup of coffee but hate that it may be making your smile look dingy? Do you find yourself feeling envious of the bright smiles you see on the faces of your friends, family, and colleagues? There's good news! Getting the brilliant, bright teeth you admire is easier than you may think. Your dentist at Innovative Dental Concepts in San Ramon offers the services you need to transform the color of your teeth.
First, let's explore why teeth get stained in the first place . . .
- Smoking. The chemicals in cigarettes, and in smokeless tobacco, leave tiny particles on teeth that can cause them to turn yellow or brown.
- Dietary habits. Like the java that brings you joy, food choices such as tea, soda, red wine, and even soda can degrade enamel and deposit stains onto teeth.
- Genetics. Let's face it, if your natural shade of enamel is less than paper-white, other forms of discoloration will be more noticeable.
- Age is often discussed as a cause of discoloration, but the real reason that our teeth become more discolored with age is simply because we have accumulated stains longer. This is coupled with natural wear and tear, which just exacerbates the problem.
Saying Goodbye to Stains the Right way
There are several DIY methods for removing stains from teeth. The question is, do they work. The other question is, are they safe. We encourage patients to consult with us about their concerns with discoloration. In most cases, teeth whitening will be an appropriate treatment method. However, there are some types of discoloration that may need to be treated with porcelain veneers. In addition to the level of thoroughness in care, there are other reasons to leave teeth whitening to your dentist:
- Product strength. The whitening systems available through your dentist are several times more concentrated than commercially-sold products. The strength of the peroxide product doesn't only mean that you will get results more quickly, but that you will get results at all! Many people visit us after a round of commercial whitening failed to make any change in the color of their teeth.
- Safety measures. Professional teeth whitening that is conducted in the office involves covering the gums and lips with a comfortable shield to prevent irritation. Patients who choose home whitening are supplied with trays that fit closely to their teeth, which keeps the peroxide solution from coming into contact with the gums.
You can be on your way to a brighter smile today! Call (925) 804-6440 for your teeth whitening consultation.