Advantages of Dental Implants?
- Implants are extremely natural looking
- Very stable and comfortable compared to traditional dentures
- They last a lifetime
Disadvantages of Dental Implants
- Implants are expensive and a major financial investment
- The process of getting implants can be time-consuming and requires multiple visits to the dentist
- There is a chance the surgery fails (roughly 5% of the time)
Types of Dental Implants
Your dentist will be able to tell you which of the three types of implants are right for you:
- Root form implant: This is the most common type of implant where the screw is shaped like the root of a tooth.
- Plate Form Implant: This type of implant has a flat and long shape and is better suited for a narrow jawbone.
- Subperiosteal Implants: In some cases, where there is not enough bone width or height for the root form or plate form implant, a subperiosteal implant may be prescribed. This type of implant is designed to sit on top of the bone but under the gums.